Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Ray Bradbury: Farewell to an Original

Writer, poet, and visionary Ray Bradbury has died at 91.  From Fahrenheit 451 to Something Wicked This Way Comes to his TV and film work and his touching poetry of the Space Age, Bradbury helped us all to see farther, imagine more, and never be afraid of the future.  His countless accolades included the World Fantasy Award for Lifetime Achievement, the O. Henry Memorial Award, and the Grand Master Award from the Science Fiction  and Fantasy Writers of America. I have an autographed copy of his poetry collection, a special thing to me even though he did not sign it to me. Alas, I never met him: I had the chance at Utah State U. some years ago but felt duty-bound to go to the Small Satellite Conference awards dinner isntead.  Bad call on my part.   

No comments: